Information - location

Ideally the skip is should be sited within your own property boundaries; in this case you do not need a licence and can use any skip company of your choice. If you have to place the skip on any area of the highway (a footpath, the verge or roadside), you need to use a skip company who is registered with your local authority. They will request the necessary licence on your behalf. The licence normally lasts up to four weeks or one calendar month.

Occasionally skip licence applications may be rejected because the proposed site is potentially dangerous to the public. A skip licence comes with conditions for the skip hire firm to comply with. These may vary by local authority. Skips sited on the highway should be safe, properly signed and carry lights during the hours of darkness.

Skip Size Selection

There are many different skip sizes to select from - below are the most common sizes typically available to domestic hirers. The RoRo versions will normally be too large unless you have a significant building project on the go. The standard 12yd builders skip is common, but also quite large. Smaller options like the 6 or 8yd versions are normally the most suitable for domestic hirers. The small 3 and 4 yard mini skips are perfectly adequate for small landscaping projects or where drive space is limited. Not all companies provide the full range of sizes and some are even specialists in certain types like mini skips. Shop around and get the correct sized skip for your own requirement.

  • 3 Yard
  • 4 Yard
  • 6 Yard
  • 8 Yard
  • 10 Yard
  • 12 Yard
  • 20 Yard Ro Ro
  • 50 Yard Ro Ro

Landfill Tax

Some of our Photographs of Skips in Action

Where We Operate

  • England
  • Scotland
  • Wales


Access to Site

You should be careful about planning where you are going to site your skip and think about how the site will be accessed by the vehicle delivering and collecting your skip. You should try to avoid blocking your own access and should certainly not block access for any neighbours. If you envisage problems, then consider a "wait and load" service or a grab truck service.